Saturday, June 04, 2005

Spinning yarn - The justification of Brutus.

"The fault, dear Brutus, lies not in our stars, but in ourselves."

Said he. "No", I disagreed. With each passing moment, I do something and it becomes done. I do not have a choice about it. I can not go back in time, I am not given a second shot. Things once done, stay so, forever immutable. To ponder on our faults, our traits and our talents is a pointless exercise. What might have been, good or bad, we will never know. The courses that we are on and will be, have all been preordained. What I am about to do in my next moment, and what you are about do in yours is what we were destined to do.

And so "forgive me dear Caesar" said I, unsheathing my knife, "for the fault does lie in our stars."

4 comments:

zimblymallu said...

that's abdication of responsibility. its also an argument that is circular. if a proof rests on itself for validation, how can we be sure?

Jake said...

what did you just say ? ..circular..abdication ..responsibility ..???
huh?

silverine said...

So true. None of us can go back in time nor ask for a second chance. That's what makes life so imperfect. However what I realise is that, if given a chance to go back in time , then the only thing I would like to take back with me would the sum total of my present day experiences. That would make life perfect.

Well said Jake.

Jake said...

@ah silverine me does thank you.
@and my dear mallu, i totally get what you say.

When I started writing this post, all I had was the first line, that I heard in 'Intolerable Cruelty'. And being a sucker for one liners, I wanted to share it. But I didnt just want to put it up for display.

In 'Finding Forrester' Connery gives a young black chap some lovely advice. "No thinking", he tells him, "Just write, from the heart. You can come to revising the draft later." And thats just what I did. I was pleased with the way my post ended.

And in rereading it, I did realize that the argument started and rested on it self. But what the hell, look at the title, its supossed to be yarn. :-)

ps to the mallu : we'll get to bashing this in due course, by which time I ought have something more cherent worked up.