Tuesday, August 23, 2005

it wasnt your ajji

You say something. I say something. We'll collaborate.

oh, that dried up,

crone.

that wandered the streets of my youth.

what i was doing watching a crone,
when i was young,


i wish i knew.
but the dirty brown sway of her skirt that peeked under a sari.

would not be denied.

it was my first brown,
and not one i am like to forget,
rapt I looked on,
until

i tripped and fell
and looked on more brown
pushing up against my face.
all the world is hued these days
with the dying tint of a withered tree.


my mouth full of dust and some blood,
my face pink with shame.
but my ears,
ah they were full of sweet silver laughter


a brighter hue of sepia maybe, but definitely not pink.

but the laughter, tinkled on,
drawing me
i decided on the sepia,
and looked up


to hear.
i've robbed cradles in my time but not
one as sweet as yours. i'll have to let you go,
as i am now a consummate tease.

i looked on
my mouth and my mind agape,
where her skin was withered before,
i now saw a woman,
my first smile, now turning
away.


with unwonted diffidence,
i essayed a glimpse at a peek of brown
and longed for a withered crone

2 comments:

Mrs. Dalloway said...

Brown? Lol!

Jake said...

yeah brown. what with profusion of the
chinese and mallus around this tiny planet, the whole human race is going to be a uniform yellow/brown/beige.

lol.