Monday, May 30, 2005

Blur

In our headlights, staring, bleak, beer cans, deer's eyes
On the asphalt underneath, our crushed plans and my lies
Lonely street signs, powerlines, they keep on flashing, flashing by

And we keep driving into the night
It's a late goodbye, such a late goodbye
And we keep driving into the night
It's a late goodbye

The words are from 'Late goodbye by Poets of the Fall'. This is what Winamp dished out just now. I have it playing randomly from over 10gb ( uh.. a *lot* ) of songs, and am often pleasantly suprised by what is in that dump.

A quick query and Larry and Page tell me that this song also featured in Max Payne.

Its been a long hard day at work, and the song captures the moment beautifully. The confused muddle of thoughts, ideas left half finished, images of the day whizzing past, snippets of conversations, snippets of code, reminders, laughs, frowns, and the fatigue. That ever present fatigue that is pulling me ever so slowly, a strong definite caress, one that does not want to be ignored.

Sleep, is all I want.

And as I slip into the twilight zone I am reminded of Going to Sleep by Herman Hesse ....

My yearning desire
Will receive more kindly,
Like a tired child, the starry night.

Hands, leave off your deeds,
Mind, forget all thoughts;
All of my forces
Yearn only to sink into sleep.

And my soul, unguarded,
Would soar on widespread wings,
To live in night's magical sphere
More profoundly, more variously.

No comments: