Monday, August 21, 2006

maple syrup

There are things that for no apparent reason, get indelibly etched in your mind. The factoid ( if it is indeed a one ) seems to achieve no apparent purpose sitting there. Like maple syrup.

It was like this. Way back in eighth class, Nondi was yammering away. Nondi was the name affectionately given our geography teacher. He walked almost as if he had a limp, his whole body leaning to one side and almost a swagger. Well, at least he must have thought it was a swagger. And I don't, to this day, know if he really suffered a limp, but being kids, and with the amazing cruelty that kids are so easily capable of, we named him Nondi. And i digress.

It was geography time and Nondi is yammering. I then recall that he asks us, to name that which is used as an alternative to sugar in Canada. And some one from a bench behind me, shouts out maple syrup. And that's it. Maple syrup makes itself a constant companion to my life thereafter. I can even recall the way Nondi was standing as he posed the question to us.

Now at four or so in the morning, as I sit unable to sleep and with a ringing headache (quite the bastard) I think of maple syrup.

3 comments:

zimblymallu said...

who shouted that out?
I think "that which is used as an alternative to sugar in Canada" is a trick question. Canada gets about 8% of its sugar from sugar beets grown locally and the rest is imported cane sugar. There is also a plant called stevia that is being used as a sugar alternative. Maple syrup somehow doesn't show up on the radar. I wish someone could've told Nondi all that.

I'll tell the tale of Nondi later.

Jake said...

lol. man you researched it ?
but it was a good story at 4 in the morning :D

zimblymallu said...

haha. yes, google makes geography so much easier. i wish we all had google back in high school. it still is a good story. i loved it.